Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update 007 - News from the front // Ratmen // Consumables // Combat Skills
Greetings ladies and gentlemen, friends and fellow managers! 

Simon’s Ramble-Preamble

It’s a pleasure for me to bring you this new development update! Lots of things have been happening at the studio in the past few weeks and the days are flying by at an incredible speed.
The task at hand is a large one, and we’re working very hard to ensure that the game you’ll all soon be playing will be a fulfilling and fun one, true to our original vision and rich in quality content! 
In the meantime, enjoy this new update and don’t hesitate to let us know what you think. As usual, anything read/seen here is subject to change and more than likely will. Big Grin

News from the Audio Front

In the last update, we unveiled the first track from Epic Manager’s Original OST. We met again with our good friends from GeekSound Factory last week and listened to a series of new songs and sound effects the guys have cooked up for us – and let’s just say we had to pick-up our jaws from the floor.

We’re still waiting for the final mixing passes, and we’ll have new elements from the soundtrack to showcase soon. The quality of the pieces we’ve heard so far is outstanding and we’re very eager to start the audio integration in the next few days – we already know the incredible audio atmosphere will add much to the game from a production-value perspective. Stay tuned (pun intended) for more news on that front very soon!

Ratmen…Ratmen everywhere!

I’ve teased them in the last update, and here they are! 
Here’s a look at Ratmen base model and it’s color variations, as well as the five basic Ratmen classes. As usual, these enemy classes will further be segmented in Novice / Veteran / Elite variations. 

[Image: Update007-Ratmen_03.png]

Ratmen are a common sight in the Realm of Astraeus. In combat, these foes will use a variety of cunning tricks to weaken your adventurers and strike them hard and fast. 

Ratmen usually travel in packs and like to raid unsuspecting human caravans. Not much is known about the origins of these elusive creatures. Some believe that their kind is led by a giant and shadowy beast, although no one has ever seen such a creature (or lived to tell the tale), and we all know that Rat-Ogres are only found in children’s storybooks...

On consumables, the economy and how turmoil can help you prosper!

We want Epic Manager to immerse the player in a seemingly living world, where consequences of small and major actions can be seen to have an impact on the game and its many multi-layered mechanics! 

As such, we want to create a dynamic world economy in which the prices of items and consumables are influenced by player actions and random world events.

Imagine a Random Encounter: You choose to do nothing as the stranded caravan master pleads for help, because you fear the goblins that are still roaming the hills. The caravan never makes it to town and its shipment is lost. The week then ends and you find that the price of Healing potions has more than doubled across the Realm since supplies never arrived. Good for you, you we’re hoarding dozens of them and decide it’s time to go on a selling spree in order to fill your coffers. But then, as you begin flooding the market, the price you receive for each potion starts dropping, until you’re only given a few coins for each flask…

The economic layer of the game is a system we’ll start jumping into in the next few days. We’re aiming for a simple-to-grasp yet deep system that will allow you to manage your items and consumables as truly important resources in the game, and also one that will be fun to experiment with.

Expect more news on that regard in future updates. For now, here are a few visual samples from the growing consumables library!

[Image: Update007-Consumables_03.png]

So skilled! Oh My!
(Visuals and contents of this section subject to heavy changes in the future)

Over the past few weeks, Frank and Louis have been working very hard on the combat system. We’re getting very close to the point where this system will be polished enough for us to finally showcase, but it’s not there just yet!

For now, let me introduce the Adventurer Skills! The new version of the Combat System features an action-point mechanic that allows your Adventurers (and the enemy forces) to chain multiple actions during their turn, or channel all their AP into a single powerful Skill or spell. This system really allows for interesting interactions between characters and powerful synergies between skills (for example, reducing a target’s Fire Resistance with one action and then hurling a Fireball in their face)!

Remember that adventurers can and WILL multiclass. Whenever an adventurer chooses a new class, he will also be able to choose 1 of 2 active skills associated with that class. We want high-level characters to be very versatile, with up to 5 mixed skills, as well as basic attacks and consumable items that can be used to turn to tables in combat scenarios.

--

WARRIOR SKILLS

[Image: Warrior_Charge.png]

Charge
The Warrior charges head on at a target, causing heavy damage with a small chance of stunning the enemy for X turns.

[Image: Warrior_Taunt.png]

Taunt
The Warrior taunts an enemy, causing it to focus its next attacks (X turns) on the taunting hero.

MONK SKILLS

[Image: Monk_Defensive-Stance.png]

Defensive Stance
The Monk gains a bonus to Physical Resistance until the End of Combat.

[Image: Monk_Offensive-Stance.png]

Offensive Stance
The Monk gains a bonus to Physical Damage until the End of Combat.

SPELLSWORD SKILLS

[Image: Spellsword_Imbue-Weapons.png]

Imbue Weapons
The Spellsword imbues his blades with arcane energy, granting him an extra X Bonus Magical Damage to all Basic Attacks for X Turns.

[Image: Spellsword_Imbue-Armor.png]

Imbue Armor
The Spellsword imbues his armor with arcane energy, granting him an extra X Bonus Physical and Magical Resistance for X Turns.

CAPTAIN SKILLS

[Image: Captain_Command.png]

Command
The Captain sacrifices his turn to inspire an Ally. This Ally immediately gains a free Action Turn.

[Image: Captain_Rally.png]

Rally
The Captain inspires the party. All adventurers (including himself) receive a Combat Buff for X Turns.

RANGER SKILLS

[Image: Ranger_Armor-Piercing-Shot.png]

Armor Piercing Shot
The Ranger fires a high-precision shot at an Enemy, damaging its armor. The Piercing shot deals X% Physical Damage and reduces the Target Physical Resistance by X for X Turns.

[Image: Ranger_Blind-Fire.png]

Blind Fire
The Ranger closes his eyes and quickly unleashes two arrows at Random Enemy Targets, dealing X% Physical Damage.         

ROGUE SKILLS

[Image: Rogue_Dual-Strike.png]

Dual Strike
The Rogue swings at a target with both weapons, causing 200% Physical Damage.

[Image: Rogue_Dirty-Fighting.png]

Dirty Fighting
The Rogue strikes a target's weak spot, hitting for 125% Physical Damage and reducing the Target Armor by 50% for X Turns.

DRUID SKILLS

[Image: Druid_Nurture.png]

Nurture
The Druid Heals target Ally for X HP.

[Image: Druid_Call-Of-The-Wild.png]

Call of the Wild
The Druid sacrifices an Action Turn to call upon the Spirits of the Wild. He gains Combat + Initiative Buff for X Turns.

THIEF SKILLS

[Image: Thief_Shadow-Walk.png]

Shadow Walk
The Thief conceals himself to become Invisible to his Enemies for X Turns or until he attacks or takes damage. While Invisible, the Thief's Basic Attack is guaranteed to Critical Hit. While Invisible, the Thief cannot be targeted by Enemy Attacks or Skills, but can still be damaged by AOE Skills. 

[Image: Thief_Pickpocket.png]

Pickpocket
Thief attempts to steal an item from an Enemy.

WARLOCK SKILLS

[Image: Warlock_Blood-Offering.png]

Blood Offering
The Warlock offers his blood to the dark gods to regenerate AP.

[Image: Warlock_Hellfire.png]

Hellfire
The Warlock uses blood magic to unleash a rain of fire upon his enemies. The spell will cost X% of the Warlock’s remaining HP. Damage dealt is influenced by the HP amount sacrificed by the Warlock.

WITCHDOCTOR SKILLS

[Image: Witchdoctor_Doctors-Ritual.png]

Doctor’s Ritual
The Witchdoctor causes target ally to regenerate X HP per Turn over X Turns.

[Image: Witchdoctor_Voodoo-Curse.png]

Voodoo Curse
The Witchdoctor causes target enemy to lose X Initiative for X Turns.

MAGE SKILLS

[Image: Mage_Arcane-Nova.png]

Arcane Nova
The Mage focuses his energy hurl an Arcane Nova at the enemies.

[Image: Mage_Elemental-Missile_Base.png][Image: Mage_Elemental-Missile_Fire.png][Image: Mage_Elemental-Missile_Ice.png][Image: Mage_Elemental-Missile_Electric.png]

Elemental Missile
The Mage focuses his energy hurl a (Fire /or/ Ice /or/ Electric) Projectile at a foe.  

PRIEST SKILLS

[Image: Priest_Blessing.png]

Blessing
The Priest gives target Ally a small and Immediate Heal +20% increase to All Resistances for X Turns.

[Image: Priest_Healing-Circle.png]

Healing Circle
The Priest heals the entire party for X HP.

PALADIN SKILLS

[Image: Paladin_Purify.png]

Purify
The Paladin heals an ally for a small amount, as well as removing All Status Conditions and Effects.

[Image: Paladin_Bodyguard.png]

Bodyguard
Until his next Action Turn, the Paladin forces all Enemies to attack him. While this condition applies, he receives a Bonus to All Resistances.

SORCERER SKILLS

[Image: Sorcerer_Chaos-Bolt.png]

Chaos Bolt
The Sorcerer hurls a random Elemental Bolt at an enemy, causing heavy damage with a chance to cause an Elemental Status Effect.

[Image: Sorcerer_Wild-Magic.png]

Wild Magic
The Sorcerer curse an enemy with a random Elemental affliction, reducing the corresponding resistance for X turns.

BARD SKILLS

[Image: Bard_Lullaby.png]

Lullaby
The Bard plays his harp and sets a Target to Sleep. The Condition remains active for X Turns or until the target receives Damage from any source.

[Image: Bard_Song-of-Heroes.png]

Song of Heroes
The Bard inspires his party. All party members receive an increase to their Initiative, Physical Damage and Arcane Damage for X Turns.

Wrapping-up – More to come really soon!

We sincerely hope you liked reading this latest update. This week’s going to be a busy one, as we continue to introduce new content and systems, as well as refining visuals and tuning-up existing mechanics.

As we draw closer to a first Closed Release Build, we know your expectations are high! Rest assured, we’re doing all we can to make sure the game is ready on time.
Expect another update real soon with more crunchy game details and visuals! Until then, don’t hesitate to stay in touch here in the Forums!

Have a great week everyone, and stay Epic!

-       Best regards from the whole ManaVoid Dev Team

[Image: Epic-Manager---Kickstarter-Logo---620x465.png]

Simon 'OISIN' Girard
ManaVoid Entertainment
[+] 3 users Like Simon's post
[+] 3 users Like Simon's post
Looking good folks! Keep up the great work.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas Grube's post
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas Grube's post
Allez les boys, on lâche pas!
J'ai bien hâte de voir ca!
[+] 1 user Likes Morath's post
[+] 1 user Likes Morath's post
Love hearing about the economy being affected by one's actions, it makes sense and adds dynamic play to the game Smile
[+] 1 user Likes AaronTs's post
[+] 1 user Likes AaronTs's post
Neat update. Does anyone else affect the economy? Have you decided how consumables work? The personal/party stash? Everyone draws without limit from HQ? Something else?
[+] 1 user Likes ArchRylen's post
[+] 1 user Likes ArchRylen's post
(07-21-2015, 10:21 AM)ArchRylen Wrote: Neat update. Does anyone else affect the economy? Have you decided how consumables work? The personal/party stash? Everyone draws without limit from HQ? Something else?

Hey ArchRylen! 

The in-game economy will be influenced by a variety of factors, some of them being:

- Fixed / Random World Events
- Completion of certain Quests
- As a result of your chosen action on some Random Encounters
- Your Agency's economic activity (buying and selling goods will flood / empty the market's global resource pool, increasing or decreasing prices)*
- Who you're buying from / selling to (ex: The blacksmith will accept to buy potions, but at a reduced price)
- Your assigned Agency Progression Skill Points (our equivalent of a Tech Tree)

As for consumables, we've opted for a streamlined system where all your Agency's Consumables will be accessible to all your party members at all time. Using consumables in combat situations will cost Action Points. By the end-game, a player can have 4 full parties (16 adventurers) and up to a dozen reserve adventurers in his/her roster. We felt that having to micro-manage 25 inventories with slots for consumables would have become too tedious and time consuming for players, considering that each adventurer already has 2 equipment slots to play with (Kit / Accessory).

After all, using a consumable already comes with a cost (depleting the item) and a condition (having previously acquired the said item) - we want these consumables to act as important and versatile resources (will you use them or market them) that are both fun and easy to manage.

-

Thanks for your positive feedback guys, we're eager to show you more very soon! 
Don't hesitate to let us know what you'd like us to showcase/detail in the future! 

Best Regards! 
Simon 'OISIN' Girard
ManaVoid Entertainment
[+] 1 user Likes Simon's post
Thx for the update! I think I have to bow out of this game. It is going to be too cute for me to not constantly go "Awww, aaah, awww, how nice, can I cuddle that, I don't wanna kill that!"

Kidding of course. My guys' path will be clearly marked by the corpses of the innocent.
[+] 2 users Like DanielHall15's post
[+] 2 users Like DanielHall15's post
(07-23-2015, 04:31 AM)Simon Wrote: As for consumables, we've opted for a streamlined system where all your Agency's Consumables will be accessible to all your party members at all time. Using consumables in combat situations will cost Action Points. By the end-game, a player can have 4 full parties (16 adventurers) and up to a dozen reserve adventurers in his/her roster. We felt that having to micro-manage 25 inventories with slots for consumables would have become too tedious and time consuming for players, considering that each adventurer already has 2 equipment slots to play with (Kit / Accessory).

After all, using a consumable already comes with a cost (depleting the item) and a condition (having previously acquired the said item) - we want these consumables to act as important and versatile resources (will you use them or market them) that are both fun and easy to manage.
I see your logic. I continue to prefer party consumable inventories plus a home inventory with some rules for filling up when they come back, but this way is simpler. It avoids supporting a party deep in a dungeon by sending your intern to the corner store. Or does turn sequence prevent that? I'll wait and see how it feels when I get to play.

Since we are talking inventory, how does loot from a dungeon work? New bits go straight back to the agency? Stuff gets held by the party in the field? Are there any MacGuffin items that need to be found and retrieved?

Thanks.
(08-01-2015, 02:37 AM)ArchRylen Wrote:
(07-23-2015, 04:31 AM)Simon Wrote: As for consumables, we've opted for a streamlined system where all your Agency's Consumables will be accessible to all your party members at all time. Using consumables in combat situations will cost Action Points. By the end-game, a player can have 4 full parties (16 adventurers) and up to a dozen reserve adventurers in his/her roster. We felt that having to micro-manage 25 inventories with slots for consumables would have become too tedious and time consuming for players, considering that each adventurer already has 2 equipment slots to play with (Kit / Accessory).

I see your logic. I continue to prefer party consumable inventories plus a home inventory with some rules for filling up when they come back, but this way is simpler. It avoids supporting a party deep in a dungeon by sending your intern to the corner store. Or does turn sequence prevent that? I'll wait and see how it feels when I get to play.

Since we are talking inventory, how does loot from a dungeon work? New bits go straight back to the agency? Stuff gets held by the party in the field? Are there any MacGuffin items that need to be found and retrieved?

Thanks.

Hey ArchRylen!

As it stands, when a quest is completed loot is automatically sent straight to the agency. The parties on the field don't carry inventories for several reasons, the first being that the game forces you to disband and create parties often because of monster weaknesses, adventurer contracts ending, adventurers injured by random encounters, etc. That would mean you'd have to redo your party inventory every time you'd create a new party and that would end up being a tedious task. 

Also by giving your agency the loot immediately after a quest is completed, it allows you to get a much better idea of your gold income per turn. Timing every turn becomes important when you know salaries need to be paid at the end of the month. For example, knowing a lucrative quest is 3 turns away when salaries are coming up in 4 turns and you are short on gold is going to be a common occurance and it will be much less complicated to foresee than counting the number of turns before a party gets back to HQ after completing a quest. Plus, imagine sending a party to accomplish 3 quests in a row because they happen to be in the same area, that would mean the agency wouldn't receive the items or money for at least 7 or 8 turns, which would stall the player's progression. 

There are also many exceptions to program/design if we had decided to have party inventories: What happens when a party dies while carrying an inventory? Do the items stay on the map to be retrieved or do they disappear? If as a quest is accomplished you find a new recruit that wants to join the agency for free, does he stick with the party or is he sent back? If you accomplish a quest that unlocks another, is the other quest only unlocked when the party returns to HQ because it makes narrative sense? All in all, there are a lot of implications to having a party inventory and we felt it would be better to simplify this particular aspect and keep the game's focus on other management mechanics such as contracts, hq progression, adventurer progression, quest choices, random encounter choices & more to be revealed( Wink )! 

Thanks a bunch for the questions! Just writing these few paragraphs allows us to review our design choices and make sure they're the best they can be so it's much appreciated and keep em' coming!

Cheers!
Christopher ''The DM'' Chancey
ManaVoid Entertainment Dev Team
@ManaVoidChancey
[+] 1 user Likes Chancey's post
[+] 1 user Likes Chancey's post
I'm glad I'm not just pestering. I had not realized that parties would assemble and be dissolved so quickly. Could the game provide a way to save favorite set ups? Suggest teams?

Is there any mechanic that encourages keeping a team together? An ease that comes from working together for a long time? Relationships between heroes that show they trust one another to watch their backs?

This is the first I recall hearing about monthly payroll. How many turns per month?
(08-05-2015, 01:57 AM)ArchRylen Wrote: I'm glad I'm not just pestering. I had not realized that parties would assemble and be dissolved so quickly. Could the game provide a way to save favorite set ups? Suggest teams?

Is there any mechanic that encourages keeping a team together? An ease that comes from working together for a long time? Relationships between heroes that show they trust one another to watch their backs?

This is the first I recall hearing about monthly payroll. How many turns per month?

Since the roster limit/salary cap starts out small and grows as you play it will be easy to create/dissolve parties, so a favorite set-up/suggest team feature shouldn't be necessary!

There currently isn't a specific mechanic that encourages keeping a team together since you will be prompted to change your parties often for the various reasons specified in my previous post, but it's definitely something we could look at implementing later on. That being said, there is an interesting fun element in figuring out the puzzle of which adventurers will fit well in a specific party for a specific quest, because the adventurers all have their specific classes, skills, personality traits, stats and potential. Figuring that stuff out is what will make you an Epic Manager!  Big Grin

One turn = 1 Week in the game world, so payroll is currently every four weeks. There is still some playtesting to do to make sure a monthly payroll is what we want down the line, but so far it's what we are using and works well.

Hope that answers your questions!
Christopher ''The DM'' Chancey
@ManaVoidChancey
What other regularly incurring costs could there be?

Like a monthly 20 gold payment to that black-hatted witch in the mountains so she doesn't put that nasty whooping cough curse on your nearby parties? Only until you can burn her with fire, of course.
(08-05-2015, 07:10 AM)DanielHall15 Wrote: What other regularly incurring costs could there be?

Like a monthly 20 gold payment to that black-hatted witch in the mountains so she doesn't put that nasty whooping cough curse on your nearby parties? Only until you can burn her with fire, of course.

Hey Daniel!

There are a few more incurring costs, but they are tied to mechanics we haven't revealed yet! We are still working on that particular feature so you'll get a much more solid answer in an update somewhere down the line than whatever I could say right now. Wink But there will be other monthly costs on top of all of the merchants, scouting, recruitment, etc.!

Cheers!
Frank "Lalight" Lalumière
[+] 2 users Like Frank's post
[+] 2 users Like Frank's post
I don't know about anybody else, but I'd be hungry for an update. C'mon, you can't starve poor old Daniel for four to six weeks every time. Sad
[+] 1 user Likes DanielHall15's post
[+] 1 user Likes DanielHall15's post
(08-17-2015, 05:28 AM)DanielHall15 Wrote: I don't know about anybody else, but I'd be hungry for an update. C'mon, you can't starve poor old Daniel for four to six weeks every time.  Sad

Hey Daniel! You're right, it's been a while! 

We have a BIG one coming up this week! It's either gonna be on Friday or this weekend so as to give us time to include all the latest features! 

Best regards from the whole Dev Team! Big Grin
Simon 'OISIN' Girard
ManaVoid Entertainment
(08-19-2015, 05:11 AM)Simon Wrote:
(08-17-2015, 05:28 AM)DanielHall15 Wrote: I don't know about anybody else, but I'd be hungry for an update. C'mon, you can't starve poor old Daniel for four to six weeks every time.  Sad

Hey Daniel! You're right, it's been a while! 

We have a BIG one coming up this week! It's either gonna be on Friday or this weekend so as to give us time to include all the latest features! 

Best regards from the whole Dev Team! Big Grin

Cancelling all plans for Friday through Sunday right now! Big Grin
Can't to see it!
Greetings friends!

Just wanted to drop by to let you all know that the next update will be live tomorrow (Sunday, Aug. 23rd).

I'm spending today in front of the good ol' graphic tablet trying to wrap my head around a new enemy type! If all goes well, these foes could also be included in tomorrow's update! Big Grin

Best regards from the whole Dev Team!
Simon 'OISIN' Girard
ManaVoid Entertainment
Thanks for the update! Smile