Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quest prospection suggestions/ideas
Ideas for when looking for quests

1) I would like to be able to either prioritize or ignore some factions.
- I like being loyal to a few employers.
- There are some employers I just won't work for.

2) Although it would change the game's pacing, I would find interesting that some quest found while prospecting stay available for a few turn before disappearing (ie : another Manager took the quest / the quest was time sensitive)

3) Add Time sensitive quests (ie : Must be completed in 4 weeks) with higher rewards, and high penalty if not completed in time, and higher-than-usual penalty if cancelled (penalty is higher if cancelled close to deadline).
(07-29-2016, 12:27 AM)Jean-François Pruneau Wrote: Ideas for when looking for quests

1) I would like to be able to either prioritize or ignore some factions.
- I like being loyal to a few employers.
- There are some employers I just won't work for.

2) Although it would change the game's pacing, I would find interesting that some quest found while prospecting stay available for a few turn before disappearing (ie : another Manager took the quest / the quest was time sensitive)

3) Add Time sensitive quests (ie : Must be completed in 4 weeks) with higher rewards, and high penalty if not completed in time, and higher-than-usual penalty if cancelled (penalty is higher if cancelled close to deadline).

1) filters for quest prospection could indeed be a good idea!

2) You can already find unactivated quests in subsequent prospection campaigns.

3) We are juggling with the idea... perhaps also roaming enemies. hum...
Frank "Lalight" Lalumière
ManaVoid Entertainment Dev Team
(07-29-2016, 03:58 AM)Frank Wrote:
(07-29-2016, 12:27 AM)Jean-François Pruneau Wrote: [...]
[...]
[...]
2) You can already find unactivated quests in subsequent prospection campaigns.
[...]

What I mean is, for example :

Turn 1) Prospect for quests : 3 quests found, 1 quest chosen, 2 quests still available
TUrn 2) 2 quests still available, WITHOUT prospecting
Turn 3) 1 quest still available, WITHOUT prospecting
Turn 4) 0 quests available, prospecting needed

Quests would gradually disappear, instead of disappearing at the end of the turn.
Maybe the same with Hero prospecting.

Another idea : Also, as fame goes up, it'd be interesting if every few turns, a hero or a quest would randomly show up, because people hear of your success.
[+] 1 user Likes Jean-François Pruneau's post
[+] 1 user Likes Jean-François Pruneau's post
I find quest prospecting completely necessary, but also kind of annoying. I never feel like my adventurers are going on a quest far away to do something big. If the quest is 5 moves away, then I'm better off prospecting again because I'll probably get one only 1 or 2 moves away from a portal.

Basically my only criteria for a quest is "Is it the right threat level? Is it near a portal? Then fine." It feels kind of lame
(09-23-2016, 12:22 AM)fdsdfg Wrote: I find quest prospecting completely necessary, but also kind of annoying. I never feel like my adventurers are going on a quest far away to do something big. If the quest is 5 moves away, then I'm better off prospecting again because I'll probably get one only 1 or 2 moves away from a portal.

Basically my only criteria for a quest is "Is it the right threat level? Is it near a portal? Then fine." It feels kind of lame

I understand it might feel a bit logical/math heavy. Do you have a suggestion on how to make it different? The whole gameplay loop is pretty much structured on your Portal deployment and tight usage of time.
Frank "Lalight" Lalumière
ManaVoid Entertainment Dev Team
[+] 2 users Like Frank's post
[+] 2 users Like Frank's post
(09-23-2016, 07:55 AM)Frank Wrote: I understand it might feel a bit logical/math heavy. Do you have a suggestion on how to make it different? The whole gameplay loop is pretty much structured on your Portal deployment and tight usage of time.

It's hard to make a suggestion without knowing how the mechanics work right now. When I prospect for quests, and a number of potential quests ("?" markers) appear on the map, what determines where those show up? Do they favor showing up near portals, or near parties, or even on scouted terrain? Does each new village / castle have one 'big' quest that will always show up after it is scouted? Are the threat level of quests influenced by location/distance as well?

It's a hard mechanic to build. I gave it a lot of thought and I can't think of a simple answer. I like the model where parties are out on a book tour, doing whatever quests nearby they can, rather than the model where they go out 5 miles away for a quest and come back. But when you scout for quests, and they are scattered somewhat randomly, you end up trying to just find quests that are 'on the way', or ones that a party can get to without too much wasted time. It's your main source of income, and the only way to tap it is 'roll the dice and hope for something good'.

Maybe it would be neat if conflicts sometimes appear on the map, which last for a while (12 turns or so). During that conflict, quests will continually appear in that area, and they become slightly harder as the conflict lasts. At the end of the conflict, you can feel like you helped 'clean up' that area - but it's also a good way to occupy a good party and make sure they're staying active. Right now all parties are so scattered and heading in all directions that prospecting for quests is like throwing darts at a spinning globe.

Honestly, if I were to design the prospecting system, I would probably scrap the current model of portals, and replace it with 'regions'. When you discover a region, the castle would pop up with a quest that, upon completion, opens a portal on that region. Quests in that region would have a cap of how difficult they can be - so you will have to move on to new regions and get quests farther away as parties grow. A model similar to this would allow the game to put a value on 'distance', and it would allow parties to remain a little more localized as they grow, rather than bouncing all over the world from day 1.
[+] 2 users Like fdsdfg's post
[+] 2 users Like fdsdfg's post