Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pre-Alpha Update 013 - News / New Combat System / Giants / Audio and much more!
[Image: U013-01-Welcome.png]

Greetings friends and fellow managers! We hope you’ve all been well since the last time we took to the Forums for our last Update. Since it’s already been a few weeks, we thought now would be a good time to return with some fresh news concerning the development of Epic Manager and to let you know what we’ve been up to! We’re also going to take this opportunity to address the upcoming Closed Alpha Release and to ramp up the hype ahead of things to come in the next few weeks.

So, without further ado, let’s jump right in!

[Image: U013-02-ClosedAlphaAnnouncement.png]

Before continuing with the rest of this update, let’s get this piece of information on the table right away – WE’RE ALMOST THERE! Although we’ve chosen not to give an exact date in today’s update, we’re committed to doing so very soon!

Stay tuned ladies and gents, because we’ll be back with a Release Announcement Update before the end of the month! According to the seers, and seeing how the stars are aligning, it’s now safe for us to say that the much anticipated Closed Alpha Release should be following this upcoming announcement in a matter of days or weeks!

We know you’ve been waiting a long time, and so have we. Once again, we’re very, very close! The only thing preventing us from giving a specific date today is our careful nature, as you never know when life will throw you a curve-ball!

[Image: U013-03-News.png]

Things have been very, very busy lately here at ManaVoid HQ. If you’ve been reading our past updates, you probably know by now that we’re fully dedicated in making our first game the best it can be! As such, it’s sometimes necessary for our team to take a few steps backwards in order to completely revamp and improve on existing systems in order to bring them to a level of polish we find satisfactory (and we’re hard judges of character when it comes to little details).

For example, the level-up interface. (Old Screenshot from Update #011 shown below).

[Image: Update-011---Visuals---HUD.png]

We proudly displayed this element in Update #011 and it was, for all intents and purposes, working flawlessly. Weeks of testing, though, have brought to our attention the fact that the whole process could become confusing at times, especially when the time came for players to choose a new Class AND a new active skill for an adventurer. Without getting too much into details, this is one example of an interface flow where we were asking players to do too many things at once. (e.g.: Select a new class / select a new active skill for that class / decide If you wanted to keep the old class as “current” / make a decision on equipment pieces, etc)…

Our design philosophy now tends to favor “closed loops” that will require you to make a single decision and then move on to the next. This way of thinking also allows us to display less information on-screen at the same time (to make the UI breathe more, if you will) and we’re convinced it will reflect favorably on the end-product. 

As nice as it is to up haul existing things by bringing them back to the drawing board, it’s an exercise that also takes time. As such, we’re constantly keeping the upcoming release in mind and evaluating which existing systems need more love, and which ones can be left as is for now.

[Image: U013-04-BalancingBugFixing.png]

While some of us are mostly happily left alone to produce new visual assets (yay me!), others have been given the huge task of debugging and balancing pretty much all aspects of the game (I’m really thankful to have dodged that bullet for now, thanks guys!). Jokes aside though, we’re now working hard on making sure that the very first version you’ll get to put your hands on (or paws *cough* Daniel *cough*) will be as stable as it can be! 

Although not as game-breaking as bugs, balance issues are also one thing we’ve really been addressing lately, and as you can guess, a game like Epic Manager can yield a seemingly infinite number of possible scenarios when it comes to balance, not to mention the fact that a lot of different core game systems (equipment drops/ roster progression / random encounters /combat, for example) also have to be put together in a way that not only makes sense, but that is also fun and, most importantly, fair.

[Image: U013-05-Narrative.png]

(aka having database sheets seared in your eyeballs)

While some of us are working on programming, debugging, bug fixing and happily drawing away on art assets, let’s not forget there’s also A TON OF NARRATIVE-DRIVEN CONTENT to be written! On that front, we’re happy to announce that the very first Closed Alpha build will ship with HUNDREDS of quests and random encounters for you to discover (with a lot more planned for future game updates). 

This means hundreds of different micro-stories and many more different resolutions depending on player choices! Pretty much all of these are now happily stored in our databases and most of the work still needing to be done on that front is pretty much focused on introducing appropriate fixed or random rewards for all said-resolutions.

[Image: U013-06-Combat.png]

This is a rather big deal, and we’re very, very excited about it!

For those of you who have been following the game’s progress since our Kickstarter debut, you might remember Epic Manager’s OLD Combat as something that looked like this:

[Image: e4fd0fcd43aa102ff6fc4a7bc87fe4ce_origina...441ac05c37]

OH. MY. GOD. How things have changed…

Back then, our idea for combat was more akin to a point-based mini-game  where a party of adventurers would “face-off” against a SINGLE ENEMY by trying to generate enough points before the timer ran out…

… let’s just say this was thrown out of the window relatively quickly (and with much vigor)!

Since then, we’ve mostly held off on showing / talking about Combat Scenarios because the system kept evolving (and still does to this day).

Epic Manager's Combat System now looks like THIS :

[Image: u013-Combat-1.png]

or THIS :

[Image: u013-Combat-2.png]

As you can see, well, it’s a completely different beast! We’re very proud of the new combat system, and we’re sure all of you will enjoy it a lot! The design philosophy behind it now closely resembles traditional turn-based RPGs such as the Final Fantasy series, and it has DEPTH. 

I could talk about combat for hours, but let’s instead try to look at it in a more condensed, point-form way. What is this new Combat System, and what does it have to offer, you might ask?

As of the moment I’m writing these lines, here's what the new Combat System has to offer (in a nutshell):

-         Parties of 1-4 adventurers are now thrown into deadly encounters against groups of one to EIGHT enemies simultaneously!

-         Combat is split into multiple rounds.

-         Based on Initiative (determined by Agility), each character now gets a turn each round.

-         Characters can act MULTIPLE TIMES EACH TURN (using an Action Point system similar to the one featured in Larian Studio’s Divinity: Original Sin).

-         Actions consist of Basic Attacks, using Skills and the use of Consumable Items (with some actions costing more Action Points than others, based on potency).

-         All actions fall into one or more of the following categories: Damage / Buffs / Debuffs / Healing / Special Effects (such as the Warrior’s Taunt or the Thief’s Pickpocket ability).

-         There are many different types of damage: Physical / Arcane / Fire / Ice / Electric.

-         Based on equipment and other factors (such as race, rank and type for enemies), all characters can stack distinct resistances to certain or all types of damages. (Trying to use fire against Lizardmen? Poor you…)

-         Over 32 different Skills for adventurers (even more counting the variations brought by passive skill choices).

-         Over 75 different Skills for enemies.

-         Dozens of in-combat consumables.

-         Hundreds of different sound effects, particle effects and animations.

-         Different visual combat environments depending on where these encounters take place.

-         And much, much more!!

As you can see, A LOT has changed since our humble beginnings, and things are still evolving to this day! We’re very excited about the new combat system and we look forward to covering its many aspects with more details in upcoming updates. Of course, there’s still a lot you’ll have to experiment with / discover on your own once your forces start venturing in Astraeus!

[Image: U013-07-Giants.png]

While we’re still on the subject of Combat, and since we’ve been steadily unveiling new enemy races in past updates, here is a first WIP look at the Giants! From left to right: Jarls / Ogres / Jotuns / Cyclops!

[Image: u013-Giants.png]

...Rumours of the fabled two-headed Ogre-Mages have also been circulating around the Realm's Inns lately...I wonder if such tales could be true?  Wink

[Image: U013-08-Music.png]

Lately, we’ve been in regular contact with our good friends and amazing collaborators from GeekSound Factory. The whole process of integrating audio assets to the game is running smoothly, and we’re super stoked about the quality of the Sound Effects and the Original Score Tracks they’re making for Epic Manager. It’s amazing to realize how everything takes on a whole new dimension once you start slapping sound on it!

[Image: Update006-01-GeekSoundFactory_03.jpg]

We’re also extremely pleased to announce that we’re now officially licensed by the internationally acclaimed AudioKinetic team to use their amazing Wwise software for in-game sound-mixing in Epic Manager! Not only will this collaboration bring the game’s audio environment to a whole new level, it’s also pretty exciting for us to be using the same audio tools that are quickly becoming an industry standard and synonymous with many AAA titles out there!

[Image: u013-Wwise.png]

[Image: U013-09-Wrapping.png]

As you can see, things are progressing at a rapid pace and we’ve now set our collective sights on the upcoming Closed Alpha Release! As mentioned in the beginning paragraphs of this update, we’ll be back before the end of the month with an official announcement so that you can all mark your calendars!

As always, never hesitate to reach out to us here on the Forums or on our social media platforms with any questions or comments you may have about the game! As well as making sure the product we put in your hands will be as good as possible, we’re now slowly gearing up towards an increased online presence here on the Forums and elsewhere when the floodgates finally open. When they do, rest assured we’ll be fully committed in making sure to provide constant and rapid support when you reach out to us with feedback!

After all, this is what the upcoming Closed Alpha Period aims to provide – the time and means to continue improving upon everything we’ve built so far to make sure Epic Manager will exceed your expectations, and that you’ll have a real blast in playing it for hours on end!

With that said we’d like to take another opportunity to thank each and every one of you once again for your patience and continued support! We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again – it means the world to us.

Thanks for taking the time to read this update, and stay in touch!
Best wishes to all of you from the whole ManaVoid Dev Team.

[Image: Epic-Manager---Kickstarter-Logo---620x465.png]

[Image: U013-10-FatMask.png]

Before we leave you today, we’d like to take this opportunity to bring a fantastic-looking Steam Greenlight campaign to your attention!

Our good friends Michael and Raph (the power-duo behind the Paper Cult Games studio) have been working for over a year now on a super cool project by the name of Fat Mask! They’ve been on Steam Greenlight for a while now and they’re reaaaally close to obtaining their approval from Steam.

As such, every up vote they receive brings them ever closer to the ability to release their game to the world, and your input can really help them in doing so! Simply head over to Fat Mask’s Steam Greenlight Page and give them a “Thumbs Up” if you like what you see there! It’s free and only takes a minute!

Thanks!  Big Grin

[Image: l41lW8apVjHNmNy24.gif]
Simon 'OISIN' Girard
ManaVoid Entertainment
[+] 1 user Likes Simon's post
So Close!!!!

With there be an option to automate or simulate combat?  I'd like to think the adventurers I hire know how to fight better than the paper pusher tho hired them in the first place!  (most Sports GM's don't tell the players how to kick/throw/dribble/hit a ball or shoot a puck or etc etc...).  I also promise I wont allow a barbarian to write up my legal contracts when I hire players!
[+] 2 users Like Retrowiz's post
[+] 2 users Like Retrowiz's post
(04-09-2016, 05:25 AM)Retrowiz Wrote: So Close!!!!

With there be an option to automate or simulate combat?  I'd like to think the adventurers I hire know how to fight better than the paper pusher tho hired them in the first place!  (most Sports GM's don't tell the players how to kick/throw/dribble/hit a ball or shoot a puck or etc etc...).  I also promise I wont allow a barbarian to write up my legal contracts when I hire players!

Hey Retrowiz! Yes, so close! 

Funny you should mention it though, we were just discussing this very same thing this morning amongst ourselves! 

Combat automation / auto-resolving is not completely out of the question, although it's something that won't be present in the Early stages of release since it's quite an important part of the experience and, mostly, since we're very keen on collecting players' feedback from the entire experience in order to tighten and balance the overall game! 

We do, however, realize that some players will be more attracted by the management aspects of the game, and as such we'll definitely consider all available options once the Closed Alpha gates have been opened! 

Thanks for your feedback and continued support, best regards Big Grin
Simon 'OISIN' Girard
ManaVoid Entertainment
(04-09-2016, 05:25 AM)Retrowiz Wrote: So Close!!!!

This won't be an option in the upcoming alpha release, but it isn't completely out of the question in the future.
That being said, combat is fast paced and relatively short, so it shouldn't detract from the management aspects of the game.

The way we see it, players will be able to live a grand scheme narrative through the management aspects of the game, whereas the quests and random encounters will essentially be micro-stories that the player will be able to experience sporadically as the game goes on.
Christopher ''The DM'' Chancey
ManaVoid Entertainment Dev Team
@ManaVoidChancey
[+] 2 users Like Chancey's post
[+] 2 users Like Chancey's post
Awesome visuals as usual!
Can't wait to try out and see the combat with animations and effects. So much has changed since the last time!
Really neat combat UI as well, makes the player/enemy turns much more easier to anticipate and deal with.

Keep up the good work guys!
[+] 1 user Likes Alex G's post
[+] 1 user Likes Alex G's post
(04-09-2016, 05:51 AM)Alex G Wrote: Awesome visuals as usual!
Can't wait to try out and see the combat with animations and effects. So much has changed since the last time!
Really neat combat UI as well, makes the player/enemy turns much more easier to anticipate and deal with.

Keep up the good work guys!

Hey Alex! 

As usual, thanks for your continued support, it really means a lot to us! 
We can't wait to finally put the game in your hands! 

Best regards mate!
Simon 'OISIN' Girard
ManaVoid Entertainment
It never ceases to amaze me how well done your updates are. Very detailed and fun to read. Combat system looks fantastic, guys. Love what I'm seeing here.
[+] 2 users Like chickenhed's post
[+] 2 users Like chickenhed's post
Can't wait to get my hands on the game! The new combat system looks amazing, the art is really nice Smile
[+] 2 users Like Maxime Carignan's post
[+] 2 users Like Maxime Carignan's post
What a nice update!

Combat screen looks awesome now, the combat was the part I was least enthusiastic about with the Kickstarter (to put it mildly) and you made it into something I'm really looking forward to now.

I'm sure you'll meet some nasty "enemies" along the way, but you seem to have the skills to slay them!
Gamers are young at heart and creative thinkers. Shall we play a game?
[+] 2 users Like CustodianV131's post
[+] 2 users Like CustodianV131's post
Always glad to see these great updates!
Does position of your character and the enemy effect combat and Initiative?
[+] 2 users Like AaronTs's post
[+] 2 users Like AaronTs's post
Good. Very good.
As for the combat. We can see two rows for the ennemy (as they can be 8). But does row change attack range? And if it does, can heroes be on multiple rows to protect from front line the mage class who generally are weaker than warrior?

Fear is the mind-killer.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing....only I will remain.
[+] 1 user Likes Harmondale's post
[+] 1 user Likes Harmondale's post
I hear there will be a new plaything in my paws in the near future? That does make me a happy furball!

[Image: stuff227_zps3dx8kp2l.jpg]

I also have the last week of April off (unless bad things happen and - ... no, no, no, happy thoughts, happy thoughts!), and if the stars would align for a closed alpha in time for that, I would probably shed a few tears of joy.

LOVE the combat screens. Reminds me a fair bit of ancient Civilization - Call of Power's combat screen, which I played a lot around 2000. (Am I this old??) Back then, though, all ranged and all melee units in an army would alternate attacking simultaneously whatever was opposite them. This is of course wildly different, but the looks just threw me a flashback.

Are those second-line enemies just drawn bigger because they are fewer, or are they different, more potent enemies altogether? I can't quite tell. The trolls look obviously different, but the rats are about the same.

And I will admit that I never quite knew what the combat was all about while the Kickstarter was in progress, and I'm quite happy that it has been redesigned 100%.  Wink
[+] 1 user Likes DanielHall15's post
[+] 1 user Likes DanielHall15's post
It seems there are places in game where we might be addressed directly through some game mechanic, and I was wondering if there'd be an option to set gender and such so we're not thrown out of the game when we read things like "The adventure throws himself at your feet and says 'Sir Dianna, please forgive me for my abominable efforts!' You send him off to recover before he is executed."

Because I'm pretty sure my chest proves I'm not a sir. :-P
I was one of the one thousand, one hundred and fifty seven Kickstarter backers
[+] 1 user Likes Dianna Bell's post
[+] 1 user Likes Dianna Bell's post
Woah! So many comments! Sorry it took a day to get back to all of you - I was away yesterday!
It was really great to wake up this morning and read all your posts! You guys/gals are amazing!

(04-09-2016, 06:13 AM)chickenhed Wrote: It never ceases to amaze me how well done your updates are. Very detailed and fun to read. Combat system looks fantastic, guys. Love what I'm seeing here.

Hey Chickenhed! As always, thank you very much for your kind words!
Writing / editing this update took a good chunk of my day on Friday, and I'm really glad you liked it! We're really excited about the new combat as well!
Thanks for being with us every step of the way!

(04-09-2016, 06:52 AM)Maxime Carignan Wrote: Can't wait to get my hands on the game! The new combat system looks amazing, the art is really nice Smile

Hey there Max! Thanks for your continued support and words of encouragement!
Sometimes, late in the evenings when my hands are sore from the graphic tablet, I think about you guys and it really motivates me to throw in a few extra hours!
Best regards!

(04-09-2016, 08:57 PM)CustodianV131 Wrote: What a nice update!

Combat screen looks awesome now, the combat was the part I was least enthusiastic about with the Kickstarter (to put it mildly) and you made it into something I'm really looking forward to now.

I'm sure you'll meet some nasty "enemies" along the way, but you seem to have the skills to slay them!

Hello Custodian! How've you been?
We're really glad of the reception we've been getting from the new combat system! Can't wait to finally put it in your hands very soon!

As for the old KS combat...well...from now on let's just pretend it never existed, shall we? Big Grin

(04-09-2016, 09:53 PM)AaronTs Wrote: Always glad to see these great updates!
Does position of your character and the enemy effect combat and Initiative?

Hey Aaron! Good to hear from you again!

As per the current build, character placement (positions on the ''grid'') have no gameplay effects in combat.
We thought about front/back row mechanics a few months back, but we felt like this aspect could be left out of the equation since many, many other things already impact the dynamics of combat!

It's a big system, and definitely one we'll be covering in more depth in upcoming updates - so stay tuned! Big Grin

(04-10-2016, 03:57 AM)Harmondale Wrote: Good. Very good.
As for the combat. We can see two rows for the ennemy (as they can be 8). But does row change attack range? And if it does, can heroes be on multiple rows to protect from front line the mage class who generally are weaker than warrior?

Hello there Harmondale!
Like I just said, so far character placement has no direct impact in combat!

That being said, some classes will definitely have the option to choose active skills that are focused on defending other ''flimsier'' characters!
Also, don't forget that most adventurers (whose Epicness Rating is high enough) will get to multi-class as they level-up! As such, a level 20 Mage could very well have been a Warrior and a Paladin before, hence possessing high HP values and enough ''Combat'' stat points to really cause some serious damage with his basic attacks!

Don't forget about Equipment, too! Both ''Kits'' and ''Accessories'' will confer defensive/offensive buffs to your characters!
I, myself, have always been a big fan of the ''All Resistances'' equipment mod! (It can really be a lifesaver!)

(04-10-2016, 05:50 AM)DanielHall15 Wrote: I hear there will be a new plaything in my paws in the near future? That does make me a happy furball!

I also have the last week of April off (unless bad things happen and - ... no, no, no, happy thoughts, happy thoughts!), and if the stars would align for a closed alpha in time for that, I would probably shed a few tears of joy.

LOVE the combat screens. Reminds me a fair bit of ancient Civilization - Call of Power's combat screen, which I played a lot around 2000. (Am I this old??) Back then, though, all ranged and all melee units in an army would alternate attacking simultaneously whatever was opposite them. This is of course wildly different, but the looks just threw me a flashback.

Are those second-line enemies just drawn bigger because they are fewer, or are they different, more potent enemies altogether? I can't quite tell. The trolls look obviously different, but the rats are about the same.

And I will admit that I never quite knew what the combat was all about while the Kickstarter was in progress, and I'm quite happy that it has been redesigned 100%.  Wink

Daniel, my man! Great to hear from you! I'm really glad you enjoyed this update!
I pleases me greatly to hear you like the new combat system!

We've got a pretty full plate when it comes to our to-do lists for the next few weeks, but we're most definitely working as hard as we can to get a stable Closed Alpha build in your hands as soon as possible!

As for the ''large enemies'' being more dangerous, the answer is yes...and no!
See that little circle with a number inside, to the left of a character's Health Points? That represents the character's level!

If you compare both screenshots, you'll see that some Orcs (large) are more powerful than their Goblin (small) counterparts, yet less so than the fast and cunning Ratmen (small)!
In other words, you can expect some late-game small enemies to be A LOT more dangerous than other early-game large foes!
As they say, size does not (always) matter!

The two screenshots provided might have (mis)led you to believe that large enemies are always at the back - this is not always the case.
However, since their ''rigs'' have different sizes, such placement is often favored to make sure that the enemies you encounter do not overlap each other in combat.

Don't hesitate to fire-away if you have any other questions regarding combat! It's a fairly deep system with many, many ''moving parts'' and I just brushed the surface in this update!
Best regards! Big Grin

ps: That picture was adorable!

(04-10-2016, 11:45 AM)Dianna Bell Wrote: It seems there are places in game where we might be addressed directly through some game mechanic, and I was wondering if there'd be an option to set gender and such so we're not thrown out of the game when we read things like "The adventure throws himself at your feet and says 'Sir Dianna, please forgive me for my abominable efforts!' You send him off to recover before he is executed."

Because I'm pretty sure my chest proves I'm not a sir. :-P

Hello Diana! How are things? Glad to hear from you again! Big Grin

Good question you have there! So far, Chris has been very, very mindful when it comes to narrative design to make sure that everything in the game is gender neutral - especially when the Manager (player) is addressed directly! Smile

Thanks for your continued support and presence here on the Forums! Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions or comments - it's always a huge pleasure for us to answer them as best we can!

------

Many, many thanks to all of you for your feedback!
Have an amazing Sunday everyone, and stay in touch!
Simon 'OISIN' Girard
ManaVoid Entertainment
[+] 2 users Like Simon's post
[+] 2 users Like Simon's post
I'd like to add that I dig the hero names. "Virde Frostblossom" - classic! =)

So right now it's not like the second-row enemies are in any way protected; again, I'm remembering CivCTP there, where you couldn't get to the second-line units until enough first-line units were killed.

And I am a constant fountain of raccoon pictures. By the way - did I hear right when you said you have a "full plate" somewhere?

[Image: stuff228_zps0q56ndlq.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like DanielHall15's post
Hey everyone!

As of last night our friends at Paper Cult Games were Greenlit on Steam for their upcoming game called Fat Mask!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f...=529138291

We just wanted to thank you and let you know how cool it is that our little community has had an impact on their success!
Great job everyone, we've got the best backers around! Big Grin

Cheers,
Christopher ''The DM'' Chancey
@ManaVoidChancey
[+] 1 user Likes Chancey's post
[+] 1 user Likes Chancey's post
Closed Alpha announcement in days or weeks...I guess it's weeks at this point? No blame...just very very very eager.
[+] 1 user Likes Retrowiz's post
[+] 1 user Likes Retrowiz's post
Wink 
(04-23-2016, 09:27 AM)Retrowiz Wrote: Closed Alpha announcement in days or weeks...I guess it's weeks at this point?  No blame...just very very very eager.

Well that's very nice to ear Retrowiz!

Without getting ahead of myself I can tell you that you're time frame is in the right ballpark.

We are doing all we can to come up with the Closed Alpha in a timely manner while making sure it's in a state that is still enjoyable for a Closed Alpha.

Alright, you stay tuned and I'll get back to hunting those pesky little bugs. 

Cheers!
Frank "Lalight" Lalumière
I might appear to be impatient, just a little tiny bit, but is it time yet? is it time yet? is it time yet? is it time yet? is it time yet? is it time yet? is it time yet? is it time yet? is it time yet?
(05-03-2016, 01:54 AM)DanielHall15 Wrote: I might appear to be impatient, just a little tiny bit, but is it time yet? is it time yet? is it time yet? is it time yet? is it time yet? is it time yet? is it time yet? is it time yet? is it time yet?

Hey Daniel! 

I'm adding the finishing touches to the Update right now! Big Grin
Should be live withing the hour!
Simon 'OISIN' Girard
ManaVoid Entertainment