Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mini-Update 010.2 - Dec 7th @ Dec 14th Dev Log
[Image: U010_2_01.png]

Greetings friends and fellow managers!

Once again, we’re back with a short weekly mini-update to let you know what we’ve been up to in the past few days and to give you some insight on Epic Manager’s development, ahead of the upcoming Closed Alpha Release. 

[Image: U010_2_02.png]

Adding and Polishing Combat Assets

The battle rages on! Well, almost. We’ve been putting a lot of time recently in the Combat Window, introducing new visual elements, particle effects, feedback UI pieces and animations! We’re still holding off on showing the combat visuals until we’re completely satisfied and all the remaining elements have been introduced, but it won’t be long before we get there!

Through the looking glass – Camera Works

During your adventures as a Manager, you’ll be doing lots of exploration across the map with your different parties, and it’s important for us to provide players with intuitive tools to do so.

We’re currently working on a fluid camera system that will allow for multiple zoom levels and a sort of “tactical” view mode when you’re completely zoomed out, giving players access to multiple indicators and feedback elements without having to parse through interface windows all the time.

Objectives, Waypoints and Discovery

The world of Astraeus is a big place. And time, as you know, is money. As such, the most successful managers will learn to plan their parties’ movements on the map in order to minimize the downtime between quests and achieve the maximum return-on-investment possible with their adventurers.

To help you in such matters, the AAA (Astraeus Adventuring Association) will offer you the ability to open “Waypoint Portals” in most of the populated settlements in Astraeus… granted you’ve first discovered said settlement!

Exploration will play an important part in the game, as you’ll gain Fame for discovering new locations, and get to experience unique location-specific random encounters. Discovering new populated areas will also be doubly rewarding, as these will allow you to open Waypoints to augment your deployment options, but also lead you to meet the leaders of the many factions vying for power in Astraeus.

Expect more details on factions, standing and diplomacy in a future update!

Opening Sequence

We’re working on a cool opening narrative sequence that plays when you start a new campaign and also serves as a buffer-zone for the procedural generation of the map and loading of other game assets. It’s fully voiced-over and even has its own original musical track! We still have a few visual assets to throw in the mix before the sequence is ready for Closed Alpha, but it’s coming along very well!

Procedural Map Generation Continued

It’s ALMOST DONE! We still have a few more hours to put on the generation algorithms (to add some more variety and optimize road generation, mostly), but all in all we should be able to replace the old static map with the new procedural one in a day or two!

Lots of work still needs to be done on the map, mostly visual stuff. The current build still only features placeholder art for most map assets, but it’s something we’ll be jumping on very soon.

It’s something we’re very eager to show you, so expect a WIP-progression featurette in an upcoming update!

[Image: U010_2_03.png]

Time to get back to it! This update and the last one were light on the visual side, but that’s because we’re putting the final touches to many (most?) game elements and we want to make sure elements are as polished as they can be before we officially feature them.

We’ll be back at the end of the week with more! In the meantime, please don’t hesitate to let us know if you have any comments or questions. It’s always a pleasure for us to hear from you!

Wishing all of you an epic people a great week! Best regards from the whole ManaVoid Dev Team.

[Image: Epic-Manager---Kickstarter-Logo---620x465.png]
Simon 'OISIN' Girard
ManaVoid Entertainment
[+] 4 users Like Simon's post
[+] 4 users Like Simon's post
Another yay for procedural map generation!

But did the screenshots we were promised misplaced somewhere? Maybe in next week's update? ^^
[+] 1 user Likes DanielHall15's post
[+] 1 user Likes DanielHall15's post
(12-16-2015, 05:51 AM)DanielHall15 Wrote: Another yay for procedural map generation!

But did the screenshots we were promised misplaced somewhere? Maybe in next week's update? ^^

Hey Daniel! Good to hear from you again! 

Were very happy with the new possibilities offered by the map as well! It's going to be a flexible system that allows us to easily build upon it in the future to add some new elements as the development progresses! 

As for the screenshots : I know, i know. Blush  Don't worry - i'll make sure to include plenty of them in the next Mini-Update! 

Best regards man, have a great week and stay in touch!
Simon 'OISIN' Girard
ManaVoid Entertainment
I can't wait to get my hands on this! I know the road is long but this is looking great! You all are doing an awesome job! Thanks for the updates, small and large!
[+] 1 user Likes AaronTs's post
I'm as hyped as ever for this game. Smile Do we have female heroes yet?
(12-22-2015, 05:15 PM)Brian Auriti Wrote: I'm as hyped as ever for this game. Smile  Do we have female heroes yet?

Hi Brian!

Nice to hear you're so excited to try out our Alpha. Smile

As for female heroes, the truth is that we don't have them yet and we won't have them ready for the Alpha... perhaps not even for the Early Access release. We have only one person working on all visuals for the game and we opted to have him design, produce and integrate the multiple panels, windows, and UI elements which are a central piece of the game first. He's also the one making all characters, all enemies and such.

Considering the amount we are producing this entire RPG-Tycoon with (38k $) some decision have to be made about where we allocate our resources. It was decided that doubling the character models would not make much of a difference in the gameplay experience in regards with the workload it involves. To be completely honest, we intend on adding our prestige classes to the game before adding more models for existing part of the game. Furthermore, if we could we would have created gender neutral characters... and they are already very close to that.

We do, however, have multiple skin tones for adventurers.

In a broader sense, we focused our efforts toward design elements, like re-hauling the entire combat mechanics. We now have a combat system quite complex... as deep as any turn-based RPG from the good old days and since we are only 3 guys, this comes with sacrifices.

In any case, the purpose of the Closed Alpha is to get feedback from players about the main game play loop to figure out where the fun lies and where and how things need to be improved before releasing to a broader audience. We are still in development and it won't be until Q3 of 2016 that every part of the experience will be in place.

In this sense, we do hope you'll be able to approach the game with an open mind and consider your play experience with the Closed Alpha as part of the development process. Smile

We will be back with more details soon enough.

Thanks again for your enthusiasm and stay tuned!
Frank "Lalight" Lalumière
ManaVoid Entertainment Dev Team
[+] 2 users Like Frank's post
Hope your New Years was amazing! Where is everyone hiding now? Wink
Man, I can't wait for this game Smile
[+] 3 users Like GlennManser's post
[+] 3 users Like GlennManser's post
(01-06-2016, 11:10 AM)AaronTs Wrote: Hope your New Years was amazing! Where is everyone hiding now? Wink

Our New Years was indeed pretty amazing. It had been almost a year since we had a full week off, so it was most welcomed. Smile

We are indeed back to work since monday morning. We'll have a new mini-update ready later this week, probably friday.

The first days back were used to get our task lists up to date and securing some help... more on that in the upcoming update. Wink

As always, thanks for staying in touch and I wish you an Epic 2016 year!
Hey everyone!

I wanted to drop by and let you know we'll actually be back next week with an update. Simon and myself are currently getting the office ready to welcome a fourth permanent team member!

We were lucky enough to secure a programmer intern this summer, Louis, and were quite pleased with is global input to our team. Well, he's fresh out of his diploma and with the Steam integration process coming up it could not have worked out better! We approached him and he accepted our offer to join the Epic Manager's dev team.

Going from 3 to 4 members to our core dev team will have a huge impact and should help us meet our development goals. That being said, getting everything ready for his arrival in such a short notice takes a bit of time.

Alright, back to building a brand new PC tower and loading it with software and goodies! Smile

Have a great weekend everyone! XD
[+] 4 users Like Frank's post
[+] 4 users Like Frank's post
Then welcome Louis!
More devs are (mostly) always better since they'll bring new ideas, opinions, additional man power and two more eyes to find solutions with problems at bugs. Looking forward to join in at the beta-phase.
[+] 2 users Like Malträtierer's post
[+] 2 users Like Malträtierer's post
(01-09-2016, 03:26 AM)Frank Wrote: Hey everyone!

I wanted to drop by and let you know we'll actually be back next week with an update. Simon and myself are currently getting the office ready to welcome a fourth permanent team member!

We were lucky enough to secure a programmer intern this summer, Louis, and were quite pleased with is global input to our team. Well, he's fresh out of his diploma and with the Steam integration process coming up it could not have worked out better! We approached him and he accepted our offer to join the Epic Manager's dev team.

Going from 3 to 4 members to our core dev team will have a huge impact and should help us meet our development goals. That being said, getting everything ready for his arrival in such a short notice takes a bit of time.

Alright, back to building a brand new PC tower and loading it with software and goodies! Smile

Have a great weekend everyone! XD

Okay thank you. Good to know!
[+] 2 users Like Bacon's post
[+] 2 users Like Bacon's post
Need Pre-Alpha tester? Big Grin
(01-12-2016, 03:19 AM)Yargo Wrote: Need Pre-Alpha tester? Big Grin

Yes, please count me in too i love alpha and beta testing games.
Thanks everyone! Smile

Yes, Louis is now settled in and working his magic as I write these lines.

We'll do our best to get an update out sooner rather than later. Only so many hours in a day. Wink

Cheers folks!