Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
What I would love to see
One of things, perhaps the main thing, that drew me to this game, was the 'manager' aspect. While I love RPG's, there are so many games where you get to play a party (and more coming which I have backed) and so few where you get to "run them." One of the few I remember was the majesty series, which still remain some of my favorite games (if you have not played them....go get them, they are cheap on Steam or GOG).

So for this game, I would really love to focus on the "management aspect." Things like recruiting, keeping adventures happy, scouting runs, making deals, etc. Those are things that would make this game different, and at least for me, a lot of fun.

What do others think though?
[+] 1 user Likes yaminsoul's post
[+] 1 user Likes yaminsoul's post
(12-09-2014, 08:22 AM)yaminsoul Wrote: So for this game, I would really love to focus on the "management aspect." Things like recruiting, keeping adventures happy, scouting runs, making deals, etc. Those are things that would make this game different, and at least for me, a lot of fun.

That's probably the most interesting part about the game for me as well. I have spent most of my gaming time during the last 2 1/2 years with my baseball dynasty, the Raccoons, which I am 23 seasons into. While obviously heroes have a different 'life cycle' than baseball players, recruiting fresh personnel and nursing them to reach their full potential is such tremendous fun. While I'm not expecting a full-blown OOTP Baseball with swordsmen and mages (and managing a 60-day disabled list is not that much fun after all), I'm looking forward to madly flinging the wheel of fortune on trades with rival agencies to put an outfit on the field that kicks monsters' furry butts.

Drafting is intense fun in itself. Drafting your starting outfit at the beginning of a campaign will give you a set of aspiring heroes you - if you're anything like me - will grow insanely emotionally attached to in no time. Look at me, I'm now naming myself after my Raccoons' first ever amateur draft pick on the internet. When Daniel Hall retired from baseball, I was sobbing for days.

Now imagine me drafting a young lvl 1 warrior, and nursing them all the way to a real pro lvl 18 kill machine - and then, in battle some evil griffon claws both of his arms clean off ...!

I can't WAIT to feel that pain ...!!

(Caution: poster is possibly insane)
[+] 1 user Likes DanielHall15's post
[+] 1 user Likes DanielHall15's post
(12-09-2014, 08:37 AM)DanielHall15 Wrote: I can't WAIT to feel that pain ...!!

(Caution: poster is possibly insane)

Here Here,

Sanity is so overrated...

EF
As for the OP,

Couldn't agree more. It was the prospect of the management side that drew me to the kickstarter. That and Adam Smiths describing it as 'Football Manager but D&D' on RPS

EF
[+] 1 user Likes Evilfriend's post
[+] 1 user Likes Evilfriend's post
(12-09-2014, 10:18 AM)Evilfriend Wrote: As for the OP,

Couldn't agree more. It was the prospect of the management side that drew me to the kickstarter. That and Adam Smiths describing it as 'Football Manager but D&D' on RPS

EF

Hi everyone, thought I'd drop by to post a thing or two.

First of all the management aspect of the game will be the main focus for Epic Manager without a doubt. There's a ton of great RPG out there and we strongly believe the management twist is what makes our game stand out.

We want to push the envelope as much as we can to focus the gameplay experience around you as the general manager of an agency of adventurers. We love fantasy sports and management mode of sports game and bringing that feel to a fantasy world is one of our main leitmotiv. 

This is why drafting,  scouting, contract négociation,  trades, and salary caps are all in the game to begin with.

I hope is thread keeps growing and similar ones bloom. We sincerely wish for you to givenjoy us your thoughts and feedback as much as possible.
Frank "Lalight" Lalumière
ManaVoid Entertainment Dev Team
[+] 2 users Like Frank's post
[+] 2 users Like Frank's post
(12-09-2014, 10:38 AM)Frank Wrote: We love fantasy sports and management mode of sports game and bringing that feel to a fantasy world is one of our main leitmotiv. 

This is why drafting,  scouting, contract négociation,  trades, and salary caps are all in the game to begin with.
If this is really your inspiration for Epic Manager, then EM could truly be a unique and intriguing game.

My favorite computer sports games have been Front Page Sports Football and Out of the Park Baseball. I would much rather manage a team than play the arcade games like Madden. The downside to the FPS and OOTP franchises is terrible AI - even starting with a mediocre team you win the championship at the end of the 2nd year. I hope you guys find the happy medium with the AI where the human can't walk all over it, but at the same time is fair itself.

I sincerely hope Epic Manager lives up to the hype!
[+] 1 user Likes ampoliros's post
[+] 1 user Likes ampoliros's post
Yeah, I have to admit it was the management aspect of the game that drew me to it. Played sooo many RPGs that the idea of getting the adventurers together and "sending them on some grande mission" for your own nefarious deeds, sounded appealing, I hope we don't HAVE to be the "good guys" though.
[+] 1 user Likes Sir Ollie's post
[+] 1 user Likes Sir Ollie's post
(12-09-2014, 12:48 PM)Sir Ollie Wrote: Yeah, I have to admit it was the management aspect of the game that drew me to it. Played sooo many RPGs that the idea of getting the adventurers together and "sending them on some grande mission" for your own nefarious deeds, sounded appealing, I hope we don't HAVE to be the "good guys" though.

We are still debating how much we want to push the "evil" side of things.

For now, we are leaning toward giving you choices that would benifit some factions and hinder others... not that the Quests would be evil per se, like go kill 100 child in town or something (it is an extreme example, I know), but let's say a mine provides mythrill. 2 factions might need it and they could both offer you a deal if you clear the monsters living in it. It would be up to you to decide if you're going to help one or the other... and deal with the other faction not liking it one bit.
(12-10-2014, 12:21 AM)Frank Wrote:
(12-09-2014, 12:48 PM)Sir Ollie Wrote: Yeah, I have to admit it was the management aspect of the game that drew me to it. Played sooo many RPGs that the idea of getting the adventurers together and "sending them on some grande mission" for your own nefarious deeds, sounded appealing, I hope we don't HAVE to be the "good guys" though.

We are still debating how much we want to push the "evil" side of things.

For now, we are leaning toward giving you choices that would benifit some factions and hinder others... not that the Quests would be evil per se, like go kill 100 child in town or something (it is an extreme example, I know), but let's say a mine provides mythrill. 2 factions might need it and they could both offer you a deal if you clear the monsters living in it. It would be up to you to decide if you're going to help one or the other... and deal with the other faction not liking it one bit.

I do remember there being talks on the KS comments page of such evil quests being possibly saved for the possible sequel, Evil Manager. However, I do enjoy the prospect of helping one faction vs another though. I think it'll add to the replayablilty of the game since you might choose to help/hinder different factions on different playthroughs.

I actually haven't played any sports management games in the past so the management system is a completely new concept to me. This was actually one of the main reasons why I was attracted to this game in the first place though; puts a nice new twist on a video game genre that probably needed one for a while. The way Daniel (praise be to Racky) describes drafting makes it seem like it can be pretty risky but also pretty fun so I'm definitely looking forward to that as well.
[+] 2 users Like JeffC's post
[+] 2 users Like JeffC's post
My past experience of sports manager games is with the Football Manager franchise. I always loved the concept, but the game got too complex for me at some point. The amount of research I felt I needed to do for a given action (e.g. training schedule, transfer market, pre-game, ticketing, etc.) grew tedious and imho detracted from watching my players on the pitch.
That said, I love the manager aspect, I just hope it is "accessible" and doesn't require hours of meta gaming.
[+] 1 user Likes Marc Pannenberg's post
[+] 1 user Likes Marc Pannenberg's post
So, a continuation of the thought I had before (focusing on the management idea) I wonder what people think about this:

NOT controlling the party (or parties) directly on adventures.

For me, this idea works in a number of ways:

1) The idea that the player is a manager, not a hero, and while you can help them be the best they can, you can't fight for them (just like a normal manager)
2) Differentiate the game from almost all other RPG's, while focusing on unique fun aspect of it.
3) Allow the dev team to focus their efforts.
4) Create some serious tension when you send your adventurers out...you do the best you can by them, but they can fail....

My idea, again drawing from Majesty and a few other games, would be you can create parties, give them equipment, scout missions, prepare them as best you can, and then they go out, and you have trust them. Adventures would be handled by some sort of weighted dice rolls, kinda of like traditional D and D, but hidden from the players.

I understand the combat system is probably already been designed to some extent, but this was just a thought I had.

Thanks
[+] 2 users Like yaminsoul's post
[+] 2 users Like yaminsoul's post
(12-10-2014, 10:52 AM)yaminsoul Wrote: So, a continuation of the thought I had before (focusing on the management idea) I wonder what people think about this:

1) The idea that the player is a manager, not a hero, and while you can help them be the best they can, you can't fight for them (just like a normal manager)
2) Differentiate the game from almost all other RPG's, while focusing on unique fun aspect of it.
4) Create some serious tension when you send your adventurers out...you do the best you can by them, but they can fail....

My idea, again drawing from Majesty and a few other games, would be you can create parties, give them equipment, scout missions, prepare them as best you can, and then they go out, and you have trust them. Adventures would be handled by some sort of weighted dice rolls, kinda of like traditional D and D, but hidden from the players.

I understand the combat system is probably already been designed to some extent, but this was just a thought I had.

Thanks

Hey yaminsoul!

I promise you the focus of the game will be on its management aspects, as this is what makes this game fresh and different from anything anyone has ever done before. This is also why the combat system we currently have never has any fights lasting more than a minute or two. We've been working on a few tweaks lately and will be coming to you guys for feedback on what we've come up with sometime by the end of next week. We will have more info to share on the current game design and some insight on how the added Stretch Goals (Trading and Crafting System) will be integrated and used in the game. Keep sharing thoughts like these as they definitely stimulate our discussions as we work towards making this the best indie title of 2015! Tongue

Cheers bud,
Christopher ''The DM'' Chancey
@ManaVoidChancey
[+] 1 user Likes Chancey's post
[+] 1 user Likes Chancey's post
(12-10-2014, 01:30 PM)Chancey Wrote: Hey yaminsoul!

I promise you the focus of the game will be on its management aspects, as this is what makes this game fresh and different from anything anyone has ever done before. This is also why the combat system we currently have never has any fights lasting more than a minute or two. We've been working on a few tweaks lately and will be coming to you guys for feedback on what we've come up with sometime by the end of next week. We will have more info to share on the current game design and some insight on how the added Stretch Goals (Trading and Crafting System) will be integrated and used in the game. Keep sharing thoughts like these as they definitely stimulate our discussions as we work towards making this the Most Epic indie title of 2015! Tongue

Cheers bud,

Fixed it for you

EF
(12-10-2014, 01:30 PM)Chancey Wrote:
(12-10-2014, 10:52 AM)yaminsoul Wrote: So, a continuation of the thought I had before (focusing on the management idea) I wonder what people think about this:

Thanks

Hey yaminsoul!

I promise you the focus of the game will be on its management aspects, as this is what makes this game fresh and different from anything anyone has ever done before. This is also why the combat system we currently have never has any fights lasting more than a minute or two. We've been working on a few tweaks lately and will be coming to you guys for feedback on what we've come up with sometime by the end of next week. We will have more info to share on the current game design and some insight on how the added Stretch Goals (Trading and Crafting System) will be integrated and used in the game. Keep sharing thoughts like these as they definitely stimulate our discussions as we work towards making this the best indie title of 2015! Tongue

Cheers bud,

Why not give people the option of either actively or passively resolving combats. You could set up a system of approaches for combat so players can still make some choice based on their party or the individual situation. Basically take a leaf out of Dragon Age's book, but setting it up for the party.

For example: If your party is going to fight a group of puny little goblins you might send them off with the "brutal assault" approach so they butcher them quickly and if they are facing a horde of orcs they might fight "defensively". Basically altering their choice of abilities or order of attack and such to best simulate this.
In D&D terms a "brutal assault" for the fighter might be charging in a power attacking, the wizard might use fireball, the rogue setting up for flanking with the fighter, and the cleric actually move up and fight. Defensively on the other hand might be that the fighter just moves up and does a standard attack (thus not gaining the penalty to AC), the wizard might cast slow on his enemies to reduce the attacks on the party, the rogue might move in, attack and move back out so as not to be in harms way, and the cleric stays back focusing on healing.

You could also set it up so that the options may be a little limited based on party, so without a wizard you may not be able to apply a controlling approach. Of course each of these approaches would have their own pros and cons by nature.

This could give the best of both worlds and meet the wishes of those that don't want to do the combat and still leave in the combat for those that want it, it would even give the option for a mix. If you had a big important fight coming up, you can take control yourself, but as for that side quest your not fussed about, pick an approach and send them off to deal with it.

Lucee
[+] 1 user Likes Lucee's post
[+] 1 user Likes Lucee's post
I was thinking about this all night (I have some time on my hands apparently).

I'm also not interested in controlling the fight. I was thinking a simple choice like (Offense or Defence) or perhaps someting like (sneak or Assault). For example, your quest is to get a ruby from a goblin horde, you can a) try and sneak in grab the ruby (and fill a backpack perhaps) and get out with no battle, OR Kill em' all and take a wagon full of loot home. (risk reward is there)

other events could be
the goblin king might have something better than the ruby and worth the assault
the goblins had nothing extra and the horde was actually just the ruby in a leather pouch.

your sneak failed and ended up with an unprepared assault to deal with anyway...

or perhaps more options like trade the ruby for a bag of feathers or something....just saying

all because I dont want to micro manage a fight.
[+] 1 user Likes Retrowiz's post
[+] 1 user Likes Retrowiz's post
I also thought of different manager levels like Agency manager -> regional manager -> Epic Manager or something...

just thinking out loud...
I don't like that idea to control directly the adventurers during combat... i mean, a soccer manager isn't sitting on his seat near the field and has a playstation controller Wink
Greetings from Germany Smile
Keep the ideas coming, we read everything! Smile

BTW, there's already a License system in place for manager's progression.

Before I comment on combat I'd like to hear what more ppl have to say about what they'd like or expect.

I hope this kind of thread will multiply! =D
[+] 1 user Likes Frank's post
[+] 1 user Likes Frank's post
Any thoughts about character race and such ? I know it is a lot of work for the artist on the team, but variety in our party would feel pretty sweet!

There's a possibility to create new trait as well with this idea, as a single character could be favored if he's teamed up with an Elf/Dwarf/Human/Kender/Hobbit/Insert race here.

Just trowing the idea out there.
[+] 1 user Likes Alex G's post
[+] 1 user Likes Alex G's post
(12-11-2014, 03:02 AM)Alex G Wrote: Any thoughts about character race and such ? I know it is a lot of work for the artist on the team, but variety in our party would feel pretty sweet!

There's a possibility to create new trait as well with this idea, as a single character could be favored if he's teamed up with an Elf/Dwarf/Human/Kender/Hobbit/Insert race here.

Just trowing the idea out there.

Indeed a very interesting suggestion. 

The only reason we did not commit on delivering adventurer meta-races is because of time constraints. For example, having elves without dwarves would simply be weird - If we're going to have meta-races in the game, we should have a variety of them, and make them impact the game in a significant way (surrounding lore, race-specific traits and skills, special quests, etc). If time allows it, giving more visual diversity (and general variety in game) will most definitely be on our list. 

Thanks for your inputs and suggestions everyone, it's great to see this thread growing! 
Simon 'OISIN' Girard
ManaVoid Entertainment